Saturday 26 June 2010

The alchemy of the newsroom

It is the evening before the final day of the Uniting General Council in Grand Rapids and I am in a reflective mood. How has it happened that the team of communicators with whom I have worked over the past 12 days is the best ever? They have produced top quality work in print, photos, video and on the web. They have written humorous pieces, insightful analysis and brisk news stories - in four languages. They have followed the bouncing ball as the schedule was reorganized. They have worked long hours. They have worked with software with which they are unfamiliar. And yet, there has been no tension, no major problem.

How does this happen? I designed a team and chose the best people I know. I prepared careful job descriptions. I did both individual and team briefings. The technical facilities at Calvin College were superb, the technical staff was topnotch. But this could all be said of other events. Yet never have I worked with such a team. What is the alchemy that creates such a team? I don't know. But may that same genie visit other ecumenical events. It is a blessing.

Kristine Greenaway

No comments:

Post a Comment