Thursday 17 June 2010

Sculpture park, nature reserve, downtown cafes or lakeside walk - What to do in Grand Rapids

This is my very first visit to the United States. It's exciting to be here but I want to make sure that I get off campus at least once or twice before I take my plane home. With just an hour or two to snatch, how best might I spend my time to explore Grand Rapids?

A colleague back home already told me about the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library and Museum, named after the late U.S. president who grew up here. The Pow Wow on Tuesday will take place at nearby Ah-Nab-Awen Park, and starting on 20 June the museum will have a quilt exhibition as well as the permanent displays.

I've heard that downtown there's great shopping and cafés so I hope to get there at least once. Or maybe I’ll go for a walk along Lake Michigan and listen to Garrison Keillor on my iPod (yes I know he's a Lutheran, but hey! And actually I don't have an iPod just a Nokia).

There's also a great new art museum downtown hosting an exhibition about “Dutch utopia” -- sounds like something we Reformed should investigate! I've heard rumours of a number 24 bus, but maybe sharing a taxi with friends may be the best approach.

The one visit that I am going to try to fit in will be to the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. It looks wonderful and is "just up the road from here" (more precisely, 1000 E. Beltline Ave. NE), according to my source. When Americans say that I'm never sure whether it means 300 meters or three miles. It does sound like the perfect place to go for something very different from discussions, papers, translating and writing.

Following on from today's introduction to discernment procedures, perhaps all delegates should be encouraged to go for a calming walk around the eco-preserve that adjoins the Calvin campus across the East Beltline.

Truth be told, I have so far been nowhere and seen nothing, but my secret tip for a bit of unwinding between sessions: lie on the grass, watch the swallows or squirrels and enjoy the sunshine.

And don't tell anyone, but today I discovered the campus store. I was looking for a toothbrush but was really pleased to be able to browse around the theology books and gift section -- a Calvin bobble-head anyone? I fear my suitcase may be a bit heavier when I go home.

Oh, and it also stocks fairly traded "Divine" chocolate. What more could the seasoned Reformed international traveller want?

Rev Jane Stranz works as a translator at the World Council of Churches in Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment